Since the prompt for this week was
a repeat of last week, I thought I would reflect on what was a major experience
this past week. I found that three of my students cheated on assignments this
past week. While two of them were only on a homework assignment, I was very
disappointed to encounter this dishonesty. One of the instances was on a much
more serious assignment, which put the student in a very difficult position for
the final grade. Despite my efforts to support this student throughout the
semester, I have not seen much of a change since this incident occurred. In
both of the other two students I was shocked by the excuses they provided for
their actions.
I
guess I never expected that my students would do this, since I always tried to
provide support for all of my assignments. I had heard about the increase in
cheating that has occurred recently, but I did not expect to have to deal with
it personally. However, I was proud of myself in handling this situation. I
wrote my first referrals, which is an important disciplinary experience to
have. Also, it was nice to have the support and advice of my master teachers
and the school administration in handling this situation for the first time. While
I sincerely hope to not have to deal with this on a regular basis, I am glad
that I could have this experience and reflect on it.
This is a good experience for you - there always comes a time where you have to evoke your authority and discipline. This is one of the reasons you can't afford to have the role of BFF with the students. Students will not always live up to your expectations and it is hard to accept this. It seems that you handled it well and that it helped you to grow professionally.
ReplyDelete