Sunday, May 19, 2013

Week 5 Reflection


            I decide if my lesson has been successful in two ways. The first is the more informal feeling I have based on the level of student engagement and the sense I have that they comprehend the material. The second, more essential way to gage the success of my lesson is by seeing if the students have met my objectives and achieved the standards by assessing their learning. I try to assess my students frequently and in different forms, writing, multiple choice, and others, to see how well they are learning the content.
            I work very hard to engage my students in lessons by allowing them to express creativity and individuality. Last week I taught a lesson where the students worked in groups to modernize a novel and change its perspective from male to female. The students had the chance to give their creative interpretations of how the novel would change. Another creative assignment my students currently have been working on is “Artist’s Journals”. In this assignment the students choose a quote from the novel to connect to a theme. While this may not seem very creative, the aspect that makes it an “Artist’s Journal” is that the student also include artistic interpretations of the theme. This assignment has given my students the chance to apply their creativity ability, whether with art or computer design, to themes from the novel. I hope that I continue to find opportunities for my students to demonstrate their creativity and individuality in their assignments. 

1 comment:

  1. Both are great activities for the students and help them to develop critical thinking skills. You are very creative in your lesson designs. All lessons don't have to be "teacher talk - students listen". They need to interact with you and with each other. This is teaching at its best.

    ReplyDelete