Sunday, May 5, 2013

Week 1 Reflection



Week 1: Do you have a set of rules in your classroom? How do you put them across to your class?   How do you establish authority/ discipline?  What do you do when a discipline problem arises?

            I have tried to follow the discipline guidelines and practices of my master teachers since I represent the master teacher in policies. In both classrooms I do not allow the use of cell phones during direct instruction or classwork time. I have made this rule especially clear, however, my teenage students continue to resist. Per the suggestion of my master teacher, I have begun taking cell phones from students after one verbal warning. I give the phone back at the end of the class period, but if a student becomes a repeat offender I plan to take this issue up with my master teacher as to whether I should alert administration. The use of cell phones in class is a major discipline struggle in all of my classes. I believe this is due to the fact that other teachers may be more relaxed about this. However, I have found that cell phones are a major distraction to the students, and that they do not perform their work well or follow instructions that are given because of cell phone use. I have had to reestablish my authority a few times this trimester, especially with my senior class. Since I am not significantly older than my senior students, they at times view me as more of a peer than their superior. While I do appreciate that I can relate to my senior students quite well, I do become frustrated with the level of respect I receive at times. To reestablish my authority, I expressed my frustration to the class and reminded them that I am their teacher. Immediately following this, I became much more ardent about taking cell phones and bringing all side conversations to a halt. I have even moved students to a new seat to break up discipline issues in the classroom. I can tell that discipline and authority will be a bit of a struggle for me as a new teacher. However, I hope to continue to learn successful methods for establishing classroom control.

2 comments:

  1. Discipline is probably the hardest part of teaching. On the one hand, you want the students to like you but, on the other hand, you have to administer discipline occasionally. Rules and procedures are essential and students will respect this even though they whine and complain. If students know you care about them, they will accept your discipline and respect you. It's hard sometimes to keep that balance between friend and authority figure. Re-establishing yourself occasionally is a necessary part of the process. The important thing is that they know you care about them.

    ReplyDelete